Friday, June 30, 2006

Grounded.

A few nights after Lilies, My hip was so stiff and painful I couldn't roll over in bed. I could not lift my leg- I had to use my hands. Next day, I limped off to the Doc- I tore a hip flexor. One month of physical therapy and NO FIGHTING FOR TWO MONTHS. DAMN. Damn damn damn.

So in this season of prime combat, what shall I do? Work on upper body strength. Build up the core muscles. I can do static pell work. I can fix up my armor. I can learn strategy and history. Waterbear (gently). What do I want to do? Fight. Damn.

What have I learned? I must warm up and stretch, at the minimum my vulnerable areas: hips and shoulders.

Tuesday Practice, I tried to absorb Halvdan's lesson on spear. Top three things I remember: One, learn to strike from a high position (overhand, above shoulders) this should be handy behind the shield wall. Two, talk/work together out loud with your spear buddies. Three, learn to double-strike- most combatants at waiting for the single lunge strike, learn to lunge and double-pop, making sure your buddies are covering you! Was very hard to sit and watch without trying things out.

Wednesday Meeting, Ilya was teaching longsword technique from Liechtenauer. I was playing with one of the wasters (nice!) and gave the first couple of stance transitions a try. The style doesn't flex or lunge, and the torso remains fairly static. So I thought, it doesn't hurt me, It should be okay...

Foolish Girl! It was so fun and instructive, and went slowly, so I didn't notice.
At nine o'clock I tried to get into the van. BAD. Damn damn damn.

Obviously, The doctor knows what he means when he tells me to rest the hip.

More ice, more ibuprofen. DAMN. Damn damn damn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home