Tuesday, January 04, 2005

First Practice of 2005

It was the first Nordskogen fighting practice of 2005, after many of skipped practices in December. The usual suspects were there: Ilya, Edwin, Maus, and Little Matt. Also Sir Tristan, Sir Aaron, Viccount Kenneth, Master Tariq, Peter, Tosten and Alan.

I geared up slowly as everyone was dawdling, then I saw Sir Tristan waiting, so I finished up so he wouldn't wait. We drilled on closing into kill range and waiting to strike, rather than closing while swinging. Now, I didn't land a single kill on him, but I did do better than my last bout with him- and could actually see openings on him, even though they were very small and his defense was so quick. I still know he's taking it quite easy with me, but Tristan doesn't look as inpenetratable as before.

We moved my stance again by moving my sword tip forward to in front of my my helm, and at the 11 on the clock (facing) and hand just in front of my chest. Much shorter distance rotation for wrist and elbow equals faster blows. This was ackward at first, because this postition felt like the blow would be weak, but it actually was fine. I was surprised how ingrained the old position was. I also practiced the "letting go" of the Tai Chi video he sent me last week. It is hard to remove all barriers to a blow, but even imperfectly clear was still a very solid blow.

I barely caught my breath from sparring with Tristan when Sir Aaron tapped me to fight. Both Tristan and Aaron take their peerage/responsibility very seriously. They both make certain to fight me each practice that they are present. We are very lucky in Nordskogen, indeed.

Rusty (Sir Aaron) drilled me similiarly, but rather than just swinging after I got defensively in range, I was to turtle up, get in, get out again and throw a blow when exiting. As Rusty pointed out, I was surviving 4-5 blows this way rather than the usual 1-2. I did get a good leg on Rusty, but nothing else. He sniped a wicked tip into my left hip, just above the leg harness. I took in a sharp intake of breath and used the pain to crank up my aggression. It worked well.

After a bit (okay- alot!) of gabbing, we had a melee drill. 3 sword & boards, 2 polearms against Maus- beserking. Our goal was to stay tight, stay in formation and stay defensive. We did pretty well. Maus said I pulled a great block that saved myself and Edwin- I don't recall the move.

After melee, I grabbed Edwin for a few more bouts. I pushed my aggression level up, as last practice, he thought I was a little too timid. I kept on him, but my defense and my shots got sloppier and sloppier as I got tired. I didn't fall for his feignts and was a bit parked on my heels, but got a good leg and kill finish to end the night. I really enjoy sparring with Edwin, as he lowers his skill to mine so I can occasionally kill him. He then follows our bouts with an analysis of what he was doing and what he saw. His feedback is productive and positive. I did ask him to tighten his holes up more for me, so I work harder on targetting. It's been nice on my ego to actually get some kills in. I was at first concerned that I'd stop learning by fighting an easy foe, but Edwin is scaling up his defense and offense to my mine.

I am so grateful for the teaching I get from each every person I fight. I hope that I learn well enough to show my teachers I have learned the lessons they have given.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home