Thursday, August 19, 2004

My First Time in Armor

Because Lyulf of Silfren Mere suggested to Tosten that he should start fighting, we went to their fighting practice, an hour and half drive.

Fighting practices in the SCA tend to be informal meetings, with both fighters and non-fighters present. These aren't official SCA events, so everyone is in street clothes, except for armor. The armor runs the gamut, from rusty, ancient, hodge-podges, to highly technically and historically accurate harnesses.

Tosten had the good fortune to fit into and buy beautiful japanese armor that was part of Silfren Mere's loaner armor, build long ago by Bear. We bought him a beautiful bacinet built by Windrose Armoury at Lilies.

I watched one practice, and decided I didn't want to be a spectator anymore. The following practice, Lyulf brought loaner armor that was small enough for me to wear.

The leg armor fit quite well. It was a combination of poleyn (metal knee cops) and partial greaves, with plastic cuisses.

The gambeson was ancient- quilted with a bedspread inside, but it wasn't smelly. (SCA armor is notoriously stinky!) A leather-covered metal gorget was snugged around my neck with laces.

The breastplate was psuedo japanese, really just laced curved rectangles of plastic- but it covered me adequately.

Elbow cops were duct-taped to the outside of the gambeson. Some say that duct tape holds the SCA together- it certainly is essential for fighters.

Because I had planned for this venture in advance, I brought a pair of hockey gloves to serve as my gauntlets. I'm glad I bought these, as I have very small hands. Guantlets seem to be a hard thing to come by, as far as armor goes. I'm not sure if they are not profitable to make, or they are technically difficult for the beginning armorer.

I also had to buy female groin protection. This is a foreign object as far as I had experienced, as I never played a sport that required one. So I excused myself at practice, went to the bathroom and put the "cup" into the pocket in front of the underwear. This is truly weird, but not uncomfortable.

So all the SCA required areas were safely covered on my body:
(see http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/armored/armor_standards.pdf) Neck, chest, kidneys, hands, elbows, knees, and groin. All that remained was my head.

The helmet was going to be a problem- I have a very small head. Fortunately, Lord Theodweard's bascinet with aventail, fit me well. I placed the helmet on my head, a little frightened by the weight- SCA legal helmets are much heavier than historical ones- they must protect against repeated blows to the head. Most SCA helms have been modified with welded "football" grills in the front to prevent sword blows actually hitting the wearer's face.

Once the bascinet was seated and the chinstrap buckled, it felt really, good. I liked the sensation of chainmail around my shoulders, the helm pulling down on my head. It felt real.

Now the marshalls went to work. With their gauges in hand, they explained as they inspected the armor I was wearing. They checked the face grill so swords would not penetrate. They had me turn and twist my head, to see that no sword could strike my neck, chin, or upper vertebrae. They made sure the elbows and knees were covered over the joint points and that they would stay secure when I moved. They politely asked if I was wearing groin protection. Fortunately, marshalls don's inspect that! They inspected my hockey gloves as they were seated under the shield and my sword's baskethilt. They pronouced the armor as safe, and I marched out to the list.

Lyulf faced me in his armor and told me we would begin by calibrating blows. After a few wobbly starts, my blow solidly rocked his head, while he shouted, "Good!" There was much discussion on how to throw my sword, as it was clear that I was doing something wrong. My arm was tired after not many swings, and my shoulder was full of pulled muscles. Lyulf tried explain the "serve the pizza, take the change method", but it pulled weird muscles in my lower arm. My elbow was swinging wide and my sword went outwards in a wide arc. Wrong, wrong, wrong in every way, but the "right" way hurt when I tried pushing it.

This wasn't a matter of "weak, female" muscles- I'd spent the last three years lifting weights regularly- I had plenty of upper body strength. I didn't learn until later there is much difference between strength and power.

Lyulf then had me receive blows to understand what an acceptable blow was. First, a light shot to the head. I steeled myself not to flinch, but damn! the noise inside the helm was loud! Then, a good head shot- my head rocked to the side. Whoa! I was startled, but not hurt. Again, it was so loud! It was so cool to get hit, and not hurt- hey, even that was a little fun!

We then sparred a bit, but I remember little- I was so high on this fun sport! The whole hour and half ride home I nattered Tosten's ear off. Even hours later, when I lie trying to sleep, I replayed what happened over and over. Yep, I was hooked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home